installing python 3.0rc1 on Linux

bradley.rogers at sympatico.ca bradley.rogers at sympatico.ca
Mon Oct 13 20:36:15 EDT 2008

I have a SUSE 10.3 OS

I have the original python 2.5.1 loaded from the suse rpm.

I have tried installing Python 3.0rc1 using the standard make
technique with the "altinstall" variation. I don't want to replace my
2.5.1. I just want to try out the new Python 3.0.

I have successfully installed the new version, but not the following
modules.

Failed to find the necessary bits to build these modules:
_curses            _curses_panel      _dbm
_gdbm              _hashlib           _sqlite3
_ssl               _tkinter           bz2
readline           zlib

My original 2.5.1 version supports these modules, but the 3.0 does
not.

My older rpm version is installed in /usr/bin. I have installed the
new Python 3.0 in /usr/local/bin.
It seems that the make process cannot find some of the shared
libraries. Is there some way to change the install process ( make,
config files or whatever) to pick up support for these missing
modules??

Thanks,

Brad Rogers