book recommendation for Python newbie?

slais-www slais-www at ucl.ac.uk
Fri Oct 10 07:18:45 EDT 2008

Mike Driscoll wrote:
> A lot of people recommend Lutz's "Learning Python". While I haven't
> read it, I have read his follow-up "Programming Python" and it was

I found Learning Python good for learning, and a useful reference
sometimes, but it can seem very slow paced if you already know some
other language. Another problem is that the author seems unable to drop
any material that is out of date; the pace is slowed by explanations of
what you might need to do if using a very old version. The third edition
is even worse is that respect. Also, being based of the author's
training experience, is not always a good thing. I prefer a book to
sitting in a class because I don't want to fall asleep whilst the
instructor repeats an explanation yet again for the benefit of those at
the back, nor wait while clever-clogs at the front asks an arcane
question of no general interest. Learning Python is too much like
sitting in a classroom for me.

If you already know some programming Python in a Nutshell is very useful.