how to start thread by group?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue Oct 7 12:25:01 EDT 2008

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In message <mailman.2088.1223354239.3487.python-list at python.org>, Gabriel
> Genellina wrote:
>
>> Usually it's more efficient to create all the MAX_THREADS at once, and
>> continuously feed them with tasks to be done.
>
> Given that the bottleneck is most likely to be the internet connection, I'd
> say the "premature optimization is the root of all evil" adage applies
> here.

There is also the bottleneck of programmer time to understand, write,
and maintain.  In this case, 'more efficient' is simpler, and to me,
more efficient of programmer time.  Feeding a fixed pool of worker
threads with a Queue() is a standard design that is easy to understand
and one the OP should learn.  Re-using tested code is certainly
efficient of programmer time.  Managing a variable pool of workers that
die and need to be replaced is more complex (two loops nested within a
loop) and error prone (though learning that alternative is probably not
a bad idea also).

tjr