decent interactive python shell on MS Windows?

james.kirin39 at gmail.com james.kirin39 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 12:53:48 EDT 2008

Hi everyone,

After having used Python on Linux for some time, I now have to do
Python coding on Windows. I am big fan of the interactive Python shell
to test, eg, regexps.

Is there an interactive Python shell on Windows that supports:

- easy copy-pasting to/from an editor? (as opposed to the cumbersome
"mark", "copy" and then "paste" sequence that any terminal on Windows
seems forced to adopt)

- readline-like command history (up/down for previous/next command,
Ctr-R for searching, etc) ?

I have tried the python.org shell (difficult copy-pasting),
ActiveState's (no readline command history) and iPython (difficult
copy-pasting). Do you know of any decent interactive python shell on
Windows that comes close to the friendliness of the standard one on
Linux?

Thanks in advance

James