How to uninstall/update modules

pjacobi.de at googlemail.com pjacobi.de at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 10 17:56:53 EDT 2008

Dear All,

It seems I don't understand how Python packages are handled. Here's my
specific problem

* I'm on Win32
* I've installed Enthought Python 2.5 because it got all the numerical
stuff included
* Later I tried to install Twisted 8.1

Twisted ended up in
C:\Python\Lib\site-packages\twisted

But there's an older Twisted included in the Enthought distribution.
It is at
C:\Python\Lib\site-packages\Twisted-2.5.0.0002-py2.5-win32.egg

Now, the strange thing (for the uninitiated, like me) is:

When doing a "import twisted" I get to older version in directory
Twisted-2.5.0.0002-py2.5-win32.egg, not the newer version in directory
twisted.

(A) What magic is going on in redirecting the import?
(B) How can I switch to use the newer version?

Regards,
Peter