How can I handle the char immediately after its input, without waiting an endline?

Sat Oct 25 05:04:01 EDT 2008

On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 08:36:32 +0000, Lie Ryan wrote:

> Don't you think that getting a one-character from console is something
> that many people do very often?

No.

I can't think of any modern apps that use one character commands like
that. One character plus a modifier (ctrl or alt generally) perhaps, but
even there, it's mostly used in GUI applications.

> Do you think that all these platform
> independent code should be moved to the interpreter level instead

Absolutely not! There's no need for it to be given a keyword or special
syntax.

But maybe there should be a standard library function for it.

> (and
> raises the appropriate error when the platform somehow cannot do
> unbuffered input)? So python developer could do something like this:
>
> raw_input(bufferring = 0)

No. Leave raw_input as it is. A better interface would be:

import input_services
c = input_services.get_char()

Eventually the module could grow other services as well.

--
Steven