is there really no good gui builder

Mike Driscoll kyosohma at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 13:48:01 EST 2008

On Nov 10, 10:27 am, "Colin J. Williams" <c... at ncf.ca> wrote:
> Mike Driscoll wrote:
> > On Nov 8, 1:35 pm, azrael <jura.gro... at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> whoever I ask, everyone tells me when it come to python and GUI-s and
> >> that there is the best way to use WX. I am browsing for the 10th time
> >> during the last year and I can still not bealive that there is not one
> >> project to make gui-building easy as maybe in VB for python. Each I
> >> tried was a pain in the ass when it comes to usability. The only
> >> descent one I've seen was Boa constructor, but also they have stoped
> >> in developing. Please tell me that there is at least something
> >> descent.
> >> I am freaking out that I need 5 times more time to make a GUI in
> >> python than in VB.
>
> > I normally don't recommend this, but you can use Visual Studio to
> > create your GUI and then use IronPython to run it. Then you'll have
> > the "best" of both worlds.
>
> Yes, but you would probably need the
> version of Visual Studio (2003,
> I believe) which is used for Python.
>
> Is there any chance that Python could
> use the freely available of
> Visual Studio?

I think IronPython will "theoretically" work with any of the .NET
versions of Visual Studio, but I would definitely recommend 2003 or
2008, although 2002 would probably work...IronPython is based on C#
instead of C/C++ after all. I was reading the Early Access edition of
"IronPython in Action" and it says you can use the free Visual Studio
Express editions. You just have to pick which language you want.

Mike