Finding the instance reference of an object [long and probably boring]

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sat Nov 8 16:53:05 EST 2008

Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> In an attempt to keep this post from hitting the ridiculous length of one

> (Aside: I've learned one thing in this discussion. Despite the number of
> sources I've read that claim that if you pass an array to a C function
> the entire array will be copied, this does not appear to be true....)

Since C does not have an array type, it is impossible to pass an array.
int *a, b[10] declares *both* a and b as int pointers.  As I remember,
the only difference is that b is initialized to the address of an
allocated block of 10.  In expressions, b is an int pointer, just like
a, and a[i] and b[i] are defined the same, as *(a+i) and *(b+i), where
the addition is pointer arithmetic. Function definitions can only define
parameters as pointers (and lots else), not arrays.  So passing either a
or b passes the address it represents.  (Function names also represent
addresses in expressions, whereas, I believe, in C99 at least, struct
names represent the struc, not its address.)

tjr