how to find help/doc files ?

Gabriel Genellina gagsl-py2 at yahoo.com.ar
Sun Nov 30 22:32:09 EST 2008

En Sat, 29 Nov 2008 19:30:50 -0200, Stef Mientki <stef.mientki at gmail.com>
escribió:

> For an IDE, I want to find the installed help files,
> either in the form of chm or html files.
>
> I'm specially interested in the files for:
> - python
> - wxpython
> - vpython
>
> but I fact I want link to all installed docs.
>
> Is there a general way to find (by code) these docs ?
> If not,
> are there standard ways to find the docs for the above programs,
> or is it pure random where these files are located ?

On Windows, Python help files are in the Doc subdirectory:
os.path.join(os.path.dirname(sys.executable), 'Doc')
On Linux, usually on /usr/doc/python-X.Y or /usr/doc/python-docs-X.Y
perhaps.

But let the pydoc module do the search for you:

import pydoc
print pydoc.Helper(None,None).docdir

(a missing docdir attribute means that the html help files could not be
found)

For the other programs consult their documentation (or ask in a specific
forum)

--
Gabriel Genellina