running same script on same data on two different machines --> different result

John Machin sjmachin at lexicon.net
Fri Nov 14 15:19:37 EST 2008

On Nov 15, 2:14 am, Christopher Brewster <cbrews... at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am running the same script on the same data on two different
> machines (the folder is synchronised with Dropbox).
> I get two different results. All the script does is count words in
> different files and perform a simple set operation on the word lists.

1. "same data" versus "different files": are you using "different" in
the same sense as in "different machines" and "different results"? How
do you know the data is the same?

2. Either show us your script, or tell us (with a reasonable degree of
precision):
* how do you define a "word"
* what is a "word list"
* what is "a simple set operation on the word lists"
* does the script use any of: random module, current date/time,
iteration over dictionaries while updating them, etc

3. (a) Which of the two sets of results is correct? (b) What is your
basis for answering (a)?