404 not found on for Python 2.6 Itanium

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Nov 21 17:04:39 EST 2008

> I guess that I don't understand why you feel there is so much effort
> involved.  I developed a set of makefiles that build Python and all
> dependencies from the command line using nmake.  The only thing you
> have to do is specify debug and cpu.  The rest is taken care of by the
> Makefiles.  Of course, this dev setup uses VS 2005, but it could be
> made to work with VS 2008 with little trouble.  The setup is designed
> to cross compile the x64 and ia64 architectures.

It starts with the need for the hardware. My only Itanium 1 system left
is old and about to crash any day now, and it doesn't support debugging
quite at all. Even if it was new and fast, I still would need to log
into that machine, download the installer, and run it - preferably in
multiple combinations (of, say, Windows 2003 and Windows 2008, with
and without the VS 2008 CRT installed).

In any case, I wouldn't be using makefiles, but adjust the project files
of VS 2008 to invoke the Itanium compiler (for which I would first have
to find out where to get it).

There is also one serious problem with cross-compilation: Tcl/Tk
doesn't support it well. In particular, Tcl 8.5 tries to run the
resulting Tcl interpreter to generate timezone data, which fails.
I had to hack the makefile temporarily to get around that (for AMD64),
but it's not pretty.

A minor problem with cross-compilation is that it doesn't work well
for PGO builds.

Regards,
Martin