Official definition of call-by-value (Re: Finding the instance reference...)

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Wed Nov 12 04:50:48 EST 2008

Aahz wrote:

>> There you have it -- call by value is offially defined in
>> terms of assignment. There is no mention in there of copying.
>>
>> So it's perfectly correct to use it in relation to Python.
>
> Except, of course, for the fact that it is generally misleading.

It's not only misleading, it's also a seriously flawed reading of the
original text - the Algol 60 report explicitly talks about assignment of
*values*.

I'm not aware of any language where a reference to an object, rather
than the *contents* of the object, is seen as the object's actual value.
  It's definitely not true for Python, at least.

</F>