Emacs vs. Eclipse vs. Vim

J.T. Hurley jeffreythurley at gmail.com
Sat Nov 29 21:49:55 EST 2008

> If you were a beginning programmer and willing to make an investment in
> steep learning curve for best returns down the road, which would you pick?

I'd actually recommend starting with IDLE. It's pretty python-centric,
and should give you a good idea if you want an IDE or an editor. If
the former, you'll probably be pretty happy with Eclipse. If the
latter, decide which irritates you less: two purposes for every key or
"we heard you liked operating systems, so we put an operating system
on your operating system so you can program while you program."

When it comes to editors, I like nano. Tiny, fast, good at one thing,
and I already know all the keys. :)

J.T.