Suggestions for an education programming project

Joe Strout joe at strout.net
Mon Nov 17 13:14:21 EST 2008

On Nov 17, 2008, at 10:53 AM, Eric wrote:

> My son has an idea for a program to
> write. Basically he would like to present a window with a small circle
> on it. The window title would have the instruction to click on the
> circle. As the mouse approaches the circle, it moves away from the
> spot. Being a kid, the visual and interactive aspect appeals. I think
> this will be nice as he can add complexity incrementally such as what
> direction to move, how to handle running into the edge of the window,
> etc.

Sounds like fun.

I'd suggest wxPython -- start with the Bubbles demo at <http://wiki.wxpython.org/BubblesToy
 >, which should work on your (10.5) OS X machine right out of the box
(i.e., no need to install anything extra).  It doesn't do the task you
describe, but it does demonstrate animation and interaction with the
mouse, and would be easy to extend and adapt in the direction you want.

Best,
- Joe