Red Hat 32 bit RPM for python 2.4+

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 12:22:10 EST 2008

James Prav wrote:
> Hi ,
>
> Could anybody please point to any available Red Hat 32 bit RPM for python
> 2.4 or greater version on Net. I searched a lot but could find for other
> flavour and not Red hat.

RPMS are distro-specific.  What distribution are you looking for?  Since
python is an integral part of any RedHat or Fedora installation, if you
want a version other than the one the OS ships with, I'd recommend you
compile it and install it in /usr/local or some other pace that won't
conflict with the system version of Python.  Trying to replace the
system version of python with a newer rpm is essentially going to break
the entire system.  Right now I find that my fedora installation has no
less than 83 packages that depend on the version of python that is
currently installed.