Programming exercises/challenges

Stef Mientki stef.mientki at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 14:07:57 EST 2008

hi Ben,

btkuhn at email.unc.edu wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I'm learning Python by teaching myself, and after going through
> several tutorials I feel like I've learned the basics. Since I'm not
> taking a class or anything, I've been doing challenges/programs to
> reinforce the material and improve my skills. I started out with stuff
> like "Guess my number" games, hangman, etc. and moved on to making
> poker and card games to work with classes. For GUIs I created games
> like minesweeper, and a GUI stock portfolio tracker. I am out of ideas
> and am looking for programming projects, challenges, or programs that
> have helped you'll learn. I'm working on the project Euler problems,
> but I find that they don't really help my programming skills; they are
> more math focused. Suggestions? What has been useful or interesting to
> you? I'd also welcome sources of textbook type problems, because the
> ones provided in tutorials tend to be repetitive.
>
> Thanks,
> Ben
> --

I'm working on an open source alternative for MatLab / LabView (math
again ;-)
and there's still a lot to do
- (re-)design of the core engine (multi thread ?)
- implementation of webkit under wxPython
- integration of Scintilla and rpdb2
- Vpython integration under Linux / Mac (Windows works)
- something like Okular, but then platform independant
- integrating of data acquisition hardware, soundcard, National
Instruments AD-converters, ...
here is a somewhat older version of my notes
  http://mientki.ruhosting.nl/data_www/pylab_works/pw_manual.pdf
all separate notes until now can be seen under the paragraph PyLab works
here
  http://pic.flappie.nl

cheers,
Stef