best python unit testing framwork

Kay Schluehr kay.schluehr at gmx.net
Sat Nov 15 07:11:37 EST 2008

On 11 Nov., 23:59, Brendan Miller <catph... at catphive.net> wrote:
> What would heavy python unit testers say is the best framework?
>
> I've seen a few mentions that maybe the built in unittest framework
> isn't that great.

The UT frameworks follow the same principles and are all alike more or
less. Of course doctest makes a difference and implies another
approach to testing but whether you use unittest, nosetest or py.test
is mostly a matter of taste. Of course taste matters a lot for various
people and when they have to use CamelCased method names like setUp or
assertEqual in Python they feel alienated and reminded that Java is
out there.

Personally I use unittest.py for a pretty obvious reason: other people
can simply run the test scripts without prior installation of a
testframework.

Kay