Workflow engine?

Tim Chase python.list at tim.thechases.com
Sat Nov 8 19:28:18 EST 2008

> After all its "just" maintaining a state and rules for possible transitions.

I've implemented my own web framework (just like every other
Python developer ;-) and I've done my own finite-state-machines
for workflows.  Web Frameworks are large, error-prone and have a
lot of nuanced details.  Workflows done with FSMs are much more
transparent and require far less work.  Each time I've created an
FSM, it's been a custom solution exactly matching the
problem-domain, and taking less than an afternoon to implement
(both coding the solution, and populating the state & transition
tables).  Thus I'd say a web framework is multiple orders of
magnitude more complex than a custom rule engine.

-tkc