memory mapped tar file contents

Chris Brooks cab938 at mail.usask.ca
Thu Nov 13 01:52:47 EST 2008

Jean-Paul Calderone wrote:

> If you mmap a tar file, then you'll get a bunch of tar formatted stuff.
> If
> you mmap a gzipped tar file, then you'll get a bunch of gzipped stuff.
> Are
> you sure that's what you want?  From your code snippet, it looks more like
> you want the uncompressed file data from the archive.  In this case, you
> cannot meaningfully use mmap to speed up your application.  The data has
> to be uncompressed and interpreted before you can get the application
> data.

Actually, I want the contents of the tar uncompressed and untarred.  So, for
example, I might be working with image data that has to go through several
transformations.  I essentially want to pull the image out of the gz'ed tar
and into memory so I can work on it (as a file) and later write the changed
contents to somewhere else.  But I don't really want to uncompress/untar and
save the file to disk and then work on it, I want to load it right into
memory.  mmap seemed to be the right idea here...

Thanks for the reply,

Chris