Structures

Paulo J. Matos pocmatos at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 15:33:45 EST 2008

On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 12:32 PM, Ben Finney
<bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> "Paulo J. Matos" <pocmatos at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I am a Python beginner, reading through 2.6 tutorial. I am wondering
>> where are structures?
>
> I'm wondering a more fundamental question: What are structures? That
> is, what do *you* mean by that term; without knowing that, an answer
> isn't likely to be meaningful.
>
>> […] structures are something like classes with only public methods
>
> Care to say more about what they are, not what they're like?

Well, I guess that everyone pretty much gets since it exists in every
other language as struct, or define-structure, or whatever is the
syntax. Still, answering your rhetoric question, a structure is way to
gather information by fields and those fields are referenced by name.
The fact that python 2.6 has now named tuples is a breath of fresh
air!