How to build the pysqlite? Where to find the "sqlite3.h"?

Shawn Milochik Shawn at milochik.com
Wed Nov 5 12:07:25 EST 2008

On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 11:58 AM, saju.pillai at gmail.com
<saju.pillai at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 5, 9:22 pm, "Shawn Milochik" <Sh... at milochik.com> wrote:
>> This is all useful and interesting stuff, but I don't think any of it
>> addresses the original poster's problem, which is that he has no root
>> access to a Linux or Unix box, and wants to get pysqlite2 working in
>> his home directory. I have exactly the same problem. I have tried the
>> "python setup.py install --home=~" method, and I get errors from GCC
>> that I have no permissions (and to be honest, nor the knowledge) to
>> overcome.
>>
>> Isn't there anyway to get a Linux binary that can just be put
>> somewhere in the Python path so we can use sqlite? Or are those of us
>> without admin/root control of our boxes screwed?
>
> 1. Get sqlite3 from http://www.sqlite.org/sqlite-3.6.4.tar.gz
> 2. build and install sqlite3 (./configure --prefix=/any/writeable/dir
> && make install) -- you may want to supply the --disable-tcl flag if
> you hit permission problems
> 3. get pysqlite3, edit setup.cfg libraries and include lines to point
> to the lib/ and include/ dir where you installed sqlite3 in the
> previous step
> 4. python setup.py install --home=somewhere
> 5. PYTHONPATH=somewhere ./python -- import pysqlite2 should work for
> you
> --

Thanks, but either I'm missing something or you're missing something.
I can't do any of what you describe on the machine I want to use
sqlite on.

I have downloaded the binary sqlite3 file from sqlite's Web site, and
I can use it with shell scripts and via the command line with no
problem. The issue is that I don't seem to have any way available to
me to use the pysqlite2 Python module.

When I try the "python setup.py --install --home=somewhere"
installation, it blows up on GCC errors that I do not have the
permissions to even attempt to fix.  What I was asking above was
whether there was a way do download the pysqlite2 module as files that
I can just copy into a directory that Python thinks is part of its
path so I can use it without having to compile or build it in any way
on that machine.

Thanks,
Shawn