locating the chorus in a MIDI song?

Tim Rowe digitig at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 06:06:00 EST 2008

2008/11/4 Banibrata Dutta <banibrata.dutta at gmail.com>:
> Without pretending to be an expert on the subject of music-theory or
> audio-processing, my n00b'ish doubt is -- MIDI, unlike MP3 would be devoid
> of voice... and in my overtly simplistic thinking --  presence / absence of
> which (i.e. voice) could be a "brute-force" way of detecting refrain/chorus

I think you're right. After all, The melody of the verse repeats
between verses, so without the words repetition is no longer a good
indicator of the chorus, and a shift in style is as likely (maybe more
likely) to find the bridge than find a chorus.. By the way, some of
the papers referenced seem confused between refrains (which form part
of the verses) and choruses (which are separate musical units).

--
Tim Rowe