Python surpasses Perl in popularity?

david.lyon at preisshare.net david.lyon at preisshare.net
Mon Nov 24 20:25:51 EST 2008

Interesting topic !

I would venture so far to say that perl is todays 'C'..

Perl is todays language of technical complexity. It is obscure,
complex, and is oriented towards the supremely intelligent (or equally
- those seeking to get 'lost' in programming).

Python, whilst very powerful, doesn't have the sheer scale of
contributors that Perl has. ie cpan. Many libraries, aren't as
sophisticated - ie spreadsheet reading and writing.

Python is very clever.. but it goes in a 'purest' direction.

It is being used in stockbrocking and many other fields. It has a good
following. It is being taught in schools here.. meaning it is
extremely healthy.

More popular doesn't always mean better...