Installing Python2.6 on Mac Os (Leopard)

Philip Semanchuk philip at semanchuk.com
Mon Nov 17 11:04:30 EST 2008

On Nov 17, 2008, at 10:53 AM, Massi wrote:

> Hi everyone, I'm trying to install Python2.6 on my mac (Leopard
> 10.5.5), but I'm encountering some problems. To install the package I
> followed the instructions I found at this link:
> http://wiki.python.org/moin/MacPython/Leopard
> If I open wing, it turns out that the installed version is actually
> 2.6, but if i run python from terminal it displays version 2.5.1, that
> is the default version for leopard. Furthermore I can't launch idle.
> I'm pretty new to mac os environment so forgive me if my questions are
> silly. Any hint?

Your terminal is using the shell environment -- specifically the PATH
-- to find Python. Although your Python is probably installed in a
Framework directory, one doesn't typically put Framework directories
in the PATH. Instead, your install may have created symlinks in /usr/
bin or /usr/local/bin to your Python 2.6 install. If, for instance,
those symlinks live in /usr/local/bin, then put that directory first
in your path and then typing `python` at the command line will launch
Python 2.6.

If the symlinks aren't there, you can create them by hand.

HTH
Philip