Python+Pyjamas+V8=ftw

alex23 wuwei23 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 19:13:12 EST 2008

On Nov 27, 6:20 am, "inhahe" <inh... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Python should [...]

The problem with statements like this is that Python itself can't do
anything, only members of the Python community can.

But I do understand and agree with your main point. I'm hoping that
the PyPy project will allow for more rapid experimentation with new
JIT & VM techniques, with the more successful making their way into
the CPython VM over time. The project isn't quite at the point yet,
but they're still heading in that direction:
http://morepypy.blogspot.com/2008/10/sprint-discussions-jit-generator.html

Another project similar-ish to Pyjamas is HotRuby: http://hotruby.yukoba.jp/
However, it doesn't use the code-to-JS approach, rather it has
implemented the Ruby VM (or a subset thereof) in JavaScript and runs
Ruby bytecodes directly. Under Chrome, this results in a 16x increase
over the Ruby 1.9 VM.

It certainly looks like some interesting times are ahead for dynamic
languages:
http://steve-yegge.blogspot.com/2008/05/dynamic-languages-strike-back.html