Finding the instance reference of an object

greg greg at cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Sun Nov 9 05:36:14 EST 2008

Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:

> 	You must have missed all the threads about "binding" then... Wherein
> a Python "assignment statement" "binds the LHS name to the RHS object"
> rather than "assigns the RHS object value to the LHS"

I know that it is sometimes referred to that way. But
nobody seems to get worked up into a religious fervour
and insist that the word "assignment" be banned from the
Python terminology lexicon, the way some people seem to
do about words such as "value" and "reference".

If we can all get along nicely and accept that "assignment"
is an acceptable term, among alternatives, for something that
has an analogy, if not an exact equivalent, in other languages,
why can't we do the same for "reference" and "call by value"?

--
Greg