Official definition of call-by-value (Re: Finding the instance reference...)

Joe Strout joe at strout.net
Sat Nov 22 09:40:19 EST 2008

On Nov 22, 2008, at 4:08 AM, Aaron Brady wrote:

> Furthermore, to apply c-b-v to Python, you have to
> introduce the concept of pointers, which is ostensibly non-native for
> human programmers.

Not necessarily "pointers" per se -- any type of object references
will do, and yes, Python has those in spades.

I didn't find it all that hard: <http://www.strout.net/info/coding/valref/

>  Just describe it and give it a name.

OK: "Python variables contain object references, which are copied from
the actual parameter expression to the formal parameter.  This
evaluation strategy is named 'call-by-value,' though some authors use
the term 'call-by-sharing' to indicate the specific case of call-by-
value where the values passed are object references."

(I should add that last bit to my web page -- I'll try to do that this
weekend.)

Cheers,
- Joe

P.S. I've pretty well tired of this thread, but I can't let Greg stand
up for truth and clarity all by himself...