Where to locate existing standard encodings in python

Philip Semanchuk philip at semanchuk.com
Sun Nov 9 19:24:56 EST 2008

On Nov 9, 2008, at 7:00 PM, News123 wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was googling quite some time before finding the answer to my
> question:
> 'what are the names for the encodings supported by python?'
>
> I found the answer at http://python.active-venture.com/lib/
> node127.html
>

> Now my question:
>
> Can I find the same info in the standard python doc or query python
> with
> a certain command to print out all existing codings?

Look under the heading "Standard Encodings":
http://docs.python.org/library/codecs.html

Note that both the page you found (which appears to be a copy of the
Python documentation) and the reference I provide say, "Neither the
list of aliases nor the list of languages is meant to be exhaustive".

I guess one reason for this is that different Python implementations
could choose to offer codecs for additional encodings.