Getting in to metaprogramming

Michele Simionato michele.simionato at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 05:24:43 EST 2008

On Nov 25, 11:08 am, Rafe <rafesa... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In the name of self-education can anyone share some pointers, links,
> modules, etc that I might use to begin learning how to do some
> "metaprogramming". That is, using code to write code (right?)
>
> Cheers,
>
> - Rafe

The word "metaprogramming" has many meanings. It covers code
generation, as you say,
but also a lots of other techniques; for instance you do
metaprogramming with decorators
when write functions operating over functions, or with metaclasses
when you write classes
operating over classes. You should clarify what you are interested in.
For instance, are
you interested in metaprogramming in Python only or you want a more
general introduction?
Have you read the Wikipedia entry?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metaprogramming