Python 2.5 and sqlite

Thorsten Kampe thorsten at thorstenkampe.de
Thu Nov 13 15:31:52 EST 2008

* "Martin v. Löwis" (Thu, 13 Nov 2008 20:58:35 +0100)
> > If you think making a distinction between the SQLite package and the
> > libsqlite package is pedantic - I don't have a problem with that.
>
> I think that is not only pedantic - it is also inaccurate. There is
> no SQLite package, nor is there a libsqlite package, in the bigger+
> world.
> [..]
> So there is no SQLite download, nor is there a libsqlite download.
>
> I don't know what specific packages you are talking about - probably
> about the way your Linux distribution choses to package things.

Some Distributions (for example SUSE) have a package called libsqlite
[1].

> > Fact is that none of the packages are required for using sqlite3
> > with Python - they are only required when you want to compile Python
> > yourself or when Python uses the shared library.
>
> So the shared library *is* required (as that is the typical way in
> which SQLite is built)

,--- * [2]
| > That's not what I meant: the question is, do you need SQLite /after/
| > you've built from source or if you install the Python binary.
|
| Depends on how you built SQLite on your system. If it was a static
| library, you won't need it - if it is a shared library, you certainly
| need the shared library at run-time.
`---

> > And even if you want to compile Python yourself, SQLite doesn't have
> > to be _installed_. You simply can dump the files wherever you like
> > and point Python to it. This is often necessary on a machine where
> > you cannot install anything to the default locations because you
> > don't have admin rights.
>
> And that is nit-picking.

No, it's not. That was my advice for people here who wanted to build
Python with SQLite support but claimed not having rights to install it.
Obviously...

> You don't have to do the "make install" step, but I would suggest to
> do that, anyway, even on a machine where you don't have admin rights.
> You just pass --prefix to the configure of the amalgamated sources.
> This puts sqlite nicely into bin, include, and lib directories, so
> that Python's setup.py can find it easier.

...this advice is even much better (but I didn't think of it).

Thorsten
[1] http://software.opensuse.org/search?q=libsqlite
[2] http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/msg/0d7ec003e4d3ea42