pysqlite install error on hp ux (ld: Can't find library for -lpython2.5)

Gerhard Häring gh at ghaering.de
Wed Nov 12 15:37:49 EST 2008

Geon. wrote:
> hi everyone!
>
> when i install pysqlite i meet bellow error. ( use easy_install and
> source code building same problem )
>
> ld: Can't find library for -lpython2.5
>
> what mean this message? and what i do?
>
> my system is hp-ux 11i v3. and python2.5 is installed.
> ld command also avaliable.

I don't know much about HPUX, but here are some ideas.

Is Python's shared library built at all? Or is Python, for whatever
reason, built statically? The command to check on Linux is "ldd
/path/to/python_binary". I don't know if it's ldd on HP UX too or if
it's something different.

If Python is built as a shared library, is the shared library somewhere
the system's dynamic linker will find it? If not, you either have to set
some environment variable (LD_LIBRARY_PATH on Linux) or configure it
(/etc/ld.so.conf on Linux).

-- Gerhard

PS: On some exotic systems where Java is already installed I found it
easier to get Jython (the Python implementation for the Java Virtual
Machine) to run than compiling Python.