end of print = lower productivity ?

Sat Nov 29 19:13:28 EST 2008

Tim Roberts wrote:
> ... I can sympathize with what you are saying.  I spend virtually all of
> my time in a command line.  As a Windows driver guy, I work a lot in the
> \windows\system32\drivers directory.  I got used to typing that as
> letting tab completion fill it in.
> Well, in Windows XP, Microsoft introduced a new utility in "system32"
> called "driverquery.exe".  Because it is alphabetically before "drivers",
> that now appears.
> Now, you would think that this is just a trivially minor inconvenience, but
> to this day, 6 years after XP, I still find myself looking at
> "driverquery.exe" instead of the "drivers" directory.

You can fix that:
set HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Command Processor\PathCompletionChar
(or make a shortcut to start your cmd with /F:ON")
to some character other than tab (such as ^D), and use that to recognize
subdirs.  Then maybe you'll type: \wi <^D> \sy \<^D> <^D> \dr <^D>
A directory-specific recog char was one of MS's nice improvements.

--Scott David Daniels
Scott.Daniels at Acm.Org