using datetime containers

indika indikabandara19 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 8 23:23:42 EST 2008

Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch wrote:
> On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 08:07:15 -0800, indika wrote:
>
> > John Machin wrote:
> >>
> >> Sorry, I can't begin to guess what you mean by that.
> >
> > I was referring to something like this
> >
> > eg. in an Image processing lib
> >
> > struct Image
> > {
> > char* p_Data; // image data
> > int i_DataLen; // length of data
> > void* p_UserData; // user attaches whatever }
> > If the lib user attaches some struct related to image name, file
> > location ... to p_UserData
> > whenever a Image* is passed around the user has access to those.
> >
> > Similarly, if a datetime.date object had an attribute which the user can
> > access he could
> > d1 = datetime.date.(2008, 1, 1)
> > d1.UserData = x1 // hypothetical
> >
> > d2 = datetime.date.(2008, 1, 2)
> > d2.UserData = x2 // hypothetical
> >
> > mylist.append([d1, d2])
> >
> > Hope i'm making some sense :-)
>
> You can subclass `datetime.date` and attach whatever attributes you
> want.  Be sure to overwrite `__new__()` because `datetime.date` objects
> are immutable.
>
> Ciao,
> 	Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch

Thanks.

As I read somewhere python has almost everything you need. So I
wouldn't go to subclassing existing stuff and making life harder for
me.

Eventhough it may be costly to sort after adding all items to the
dict(as opposed to inserting with a custom sort function) I would go
for that.

Anyway, I saw the UserDict module which may help in creating a custom
dictionary with a custom comparison function. (I didn't go to detail
as the documentation was not very elaborate )