what's so difficult about namespace?

Xah Lee xahlee at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 11:52:59 EST 2008

On Nov 26, 8:42 am, Stefan Behnel <stefan... at behnel.de> wrote:
> XahLeewrote:
> >> The IT community has enough trouble getting a few ISPs to upgrade their
> >> DNS software. How are you going to get millions of general users to
> >> upgrade?
>
> > alright, that's speaks for Javascript.
>
> > But how's that apply to, say, Scheme lisp, Emacs lisp, PHP?
>
> Think before you write. It's exactly the same thing. How would you get all
> Emacs users in the world to upgrade?

Hi Stefan, try not to be a moron.

In the case of javascript, it involves web servers and clients (web
browsers). In the case of Scheme Lisp or Emacs Lisp, there's no such
server/client issue. There is still the compatibilty issue, but not
the same scenario as javascript. As compatibility issue, that doesn't
just apply to namespaces but to any othe function or change in the
language. And as you know, language changes all the time, in big or
small dosages. Small changes happens almost every release. Major
changes happens every few years (e.g. Java versions thru the year,
Perl4 to perl5, each iteration of Scheme's RnRS) So, in general,
backward compatibility does not fully answer the question of the no
namespace problem. Even if it does, the detail or reason is not given
in the above and is not something obvious at least to me.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/