Text based screens without ncurses

Jorgen Grahn grahn+nntp at snipabacken.se
Mon Nov 17 06:49:41 EST 2008

On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 12:19:53 -0500, Jean-Paul Calderone <exarkun at divmod.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 20:16:58 +0200, Mirat Can Bayrak <miratcanbayrak at gmail.com> wrote:
>>On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 12:14:10 -0500
>>Jean-Paul Calderone <exarkun at divmod.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Why don't you want to use one of these libraries for doing the thing that
>>> you want to do?
>>
>>mmm lets say i want to improve myself with building a curses like module. :)
>
> Okay.  Then I'd suggest reading the source to the curses module or one of the
> modules like it in order to learn how to do what it does.
>
> In addition to learning how to manipulate terminals like curses does, this
> will also help you improve at the important skill of reading existing code.

But most of the curses module is really a C wrapper around ncurses,
isn't it? He's not going to learn a lot about curses implementation
from that Python code.

Also, keep in mind that a new curses-like interface isn't generally
useful until it's tested and works on a gazillion different terminals.
Most of them are not available to most of us, but people who have one
still expect full-screen applications to Just Work on it.

/Jorgen

--
  // Jorgen Grahn <grahn@        Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu
\X/     snipabacken.se>          R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!