Uninstall one of two Python's

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Nov 19 01:18:20 EST 2008

>> I have Apache with mod_python installed as well. When Apache tries to
>> run a Python script, I think it's using the "wrong" python, and that's
>> because the /usr/local/bin path is before the /usr/bin path in the
>> $PATH variable.
>
> Unless you compiled the module yourself, I doubt that. Ubuntu won't ship
> with a mod_* compiled against /usr/local/python
>
> If the module picks up the wrong python, simply removing that won't work I
> fear - library loading problems will occur.

I disagree. If ldconfig prefers /usr/local/lib over /lib:/usr/lib, and
if mod_python was compiled to link against a shared libpython, and if
both Python installations are compiled with --enable-shared, then it
might well happen that the /usr/local one overrides the one that the
Ubuntu maintainer meant to use. In that case, removing the /usr/local
installation (all of it) would indeed solve the problem; one would
have to run ldconfig after doing so.

OTOH, if mod_python was statically linked against the installation in
/usr/local, then you would be right.

Regards,
Martin