Can't find Python Library packages in Ubuntu (Debian)

Mon Nov 24 13:58:40 EST 2008

Jerzy Jalocha N wrote:
> I'm new in this list (and to Python), so I'd like to start saying
> hello to everyone first. I am really enjoying this new language!
>
> I am trying to use the standard tests (like test_list.py or
> test_dict.py) from the standard library (Python2.5), but they aren't
> available on a standard Ubuntu Hardy or Ibex installation....
>
> So, the first question is: How do I install the complete Python test
> framework under Ubuntu (Debian)?
You could use BZR or SVN to get a copy of the full Lib/test tree.  Given
your long-disconnected running, I'd consider getting a full source set
for release25-maint.
Note that as of Python 2.6 / 3.0, if Python is not restricted to
system directories for security reasons (if sys.flags.no_user_site is
non-0), you may make a directory in your home directory to be searched.

See   http://docs.python.org/library/site.html
for details on USER_SITE and USER_BASE.

That will allow you to place a test subdirectory under site.USER_SITE
and get to test.test_list (for example) on your python search path.
Since it is a user-specific location, you can make a "tester" user with
the directory in his own space and not worry about affecting the
standard environment.

--Scott David Daniels
Scott.Daniels at Acm.Org