Official definition of call-by-value (Re: Finding the instance reference...)

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Nov 13 18:53:55 EST 2008

rurpy at yahoo.com wrote:

> I have yet to see any reasonable definition of a Python
> value in the Python docs or elsewhere, despite the fact
> that a value is one of the three defining characteristics
> of an object, a central concept in Python.

I noticed too.  My try:

The value of an object is the information that the object represents (or
that is stored with the object) that the interpreter uses to compute the
value of a new object when you use the object in an expression.  For
number objects, the number value.  For collection objects, the objects
collected. For functions, the signature and function performed when called.

How is that?

Terry Jan Reedy