Emacs vs. Eclipse vs. Vim

Francesco Bochicchio bockman at virgilio.it
Sun Nov 30 03:00:25 EST 2008

On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 12:44:14 -0800, Josh wrote:

> If you were a beginning programmer and willing to make an investment in
> steep learning curve for best returns down the road, which would you pick?

Honestly, I would invest my time and energy in someting more significant
than editor skills.

In twenty+ years of programming I have used all three environments and
many others, and I never found them critically important for my job. Sure
a good editor and/or IDE can make your life easier. And a bad one can make
you suffer - but then you just switch ... But at the end of the day they
are just tools, and IMO not the most important ones in the toolchain that
you have to use to do your job.

Ciao
---
FB