The return code

Sion Arrowsmith siona at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Fri Nov 14 10:23:14 EST 2008

Jeff McNeil  <jeff at jmcneil.net> wrote:
>> On Nov 13, 6:15 am, "devi thapa" <devi.th... at gmail.com> wrote:
>> >           I am running one service in the python script eg like
>> > "service httpd status".
>> > If I execute this command in normal shell kernel, the return code is
>> > 3. But in the python script its return code is different, ie not 3, I
>> > mean to say that return codes are differing.
> [ ... ] are you executing "service httpd status" from within a Python
>script and not getting the exit code you're expecting from the command
>you've spawned? If this is the case, ensure the command is actually
>executing.

Or possibly whatever they're using to get the exit code is using the
os.wait()-style value, such as

sts = os.system("service httpd status")

in which case the required value is sts >> 8 .

See http://docs.python.org/library/os.html#os.system .

--
\S -- siona at chiark.greenend.org.uk -- http://www.chaos.org.uk/~sion/
        -- Arthur C. Clarke