Official definition of call-by-value (Re: Finding the instance reference...)

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Sun Nov 16 08:49:27 EST 2008

Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 19:42:33 -0800, rurpy wrote:
[...]
>> But I propose that one can define value in a precise way that
>> captures what most people think of as value, and avoids confusing
>> objects (or references to them) and the value of objects.
>
> Good luck. I think you're chasing your own shadow.

Quite. The question naturally arises "Why would one want to?" This is
naturally followed by "How would it help if you did?"

Can't we just get back to programming? If this endless (sigh) discussion
actually helped anybody to understand how Python worked I could
sympathize with it.

regards
 Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119