etymology of "list comprehension"?

Chris Rebert clp at rebertia.com
Thu Nov 6 16:31:38 EST 2008

On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 1:19 PM,  <mh at pixar.com> wrote:
> I googled and wiki'ed, but couldn't find a concise clear answer
> as to how python "list comprehensions" got their name.
>
> Who picked the name?  What was the direct inspiration, another
> language?  What language was the first to have such a construct?

According to Wikipedia, the SETL programming language was the first
one to have such a construct. My understanding is that Python took the
idea from Haskell, where the concept has the same name. The term
"comprehension" for the concept was first used in the NPL programming
language (Wikipedia again).

Cheers,
Chris
--