is there really no good gui builder

Duncan Booth duncan.booth at invalid.invalid
Sun Nov 9 14:08:35 EST 2008

Phil Thompson wrote:

>> Thay aren't claiming that Qt itself is governed by the GPL, what they
>> are claiming is that the 'Qt Open Source License' permits you to use it
>> for development of "Open Source software governed by the GNU General
>> Public License versions 2 and 3". I believe they can make whatever
>> conditions they like for their own license.
>
> This is just plain wrong. The open source version is licensed under either
> v2 or v3 of the GPL - your choice. There is no such thing as a separate "Qt
> Open Source License".

So are the references to 'Qt Open Source License' on the website
misleading? It seems to me that the claims on the website are very
carefully worded to say that you have to develop code under the GPL (or
other open source license), not that Qt itself is released under the
GPL, and given the additional conditions they impose I would have said
at best it is GPL + lots of other restrictions.

Feel free to disagree, I am not an intellectual property lowyer.