Midi manipulation

Banibrata Dutta banibrata.dutta at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 04:26:38 EST 2008

On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 2:43 PM, Massi <massi_srb at msn.com> wrote:

> On 16 Nov, 23:23, Tim Roberts <t... at probo.com> wrote:
> > Massi <massi_... at msn.com> wrote:
> >
> > >Hi everyone, I'm searching for "something" which allows me to write
> > >scripts which handle midi files. I'm totally a newbie in audio
> > >manipulation, therefore any suggestion or link related to this field
> > >is welcome. Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Google is much faster than this newsgroup.  Search for "python midi
> > library" and the first page gives you a number of good hits.
> >
> > However, there's a lot to manipulating MIDI.  What kinds of things are
> you
> > hoping to accomplish?  MIDI, for example, is not a particularly good way
> > store music for composition.
> > --
> > Tim Roberts, t... at probo.com
> > Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.
>
> I'm writing a script for didactic musical purpose. As first step I
> need something as simple as possible, for example a library of
> functions which are able to play a certain note, with a given
> instrument and a given length. I thought midi was good for this aim,
> am I wrong?

If by "didactic music" you mean to say that the purity and authenticity of
sound (as in closeness to sound of actual instrument), for various
instruments is not your primary concern, then MIDI, IMHO serves the purpose
well enough. Even with MIDI, if you use some of the extensions s.a. Yamaha
XG instruments and effects, you can come close to sound of real instruments,
but then, that requires XG-capable synth (either software, which are not
available for purchase anymore, I guess -- or hardware based).

--
regards,
Banibrata