Programming exercises/challenges

Jeremiah Dodds jeremiah.dodds at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 07:50:33 EST 2008

On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 7:44 AM, Mr. SpOOn <mr.spoon21 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 1:35 PM, Jeremiah Dodds
> <jeremiah.dodds at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Personally, I prefer a host that gives me root on a box (or virtual
> > machine). I've had a great time with slicehost (http://slicehost.com).
>
> Yes, I knew about slicehost, but it is expensive for what I need to
> do, that is just experimentin a bit.
>
> > There are a few hosts that specialize in, or explicitly offer python
> > hosting, http://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonHosting has an overview of
> them.
>
> Thanks for the link, seems useful.

If you need to do it on the extremely cheap, you can host on your own
machine on a port other than 80, make sure your router / firewall is
forwarding the port to your machine, and use dyndns (http://dyndns.com) to
give yourself a domain name. CherryPy (http://cherrypy.org) makes the python
side of hosting a simple service or app quite painless. I use this method to
host a little app for downloading Ubuntu packages and their dependencies as
a tarfile on my personal machine.