Programming exercises/challenges

Tomasz Rola rtomek at ceti.com.pl
Tue Nov 18 21:01:09 EST 2008

On Tue, 18 Nov 2008, btkuhn at email.unc.edu wrote:

[...]
> challenges, or programs that have helped you'll learn. I'm working on the
> project Euler problems, but I find that they don't really help my programming
> skills; they are more math focused.

Project Euler and others focus more on the so called algorithmic side of
programming. You may find it a big fun later. For now, they probably look
bizarre to you.

> Suggestions? What has been useful or
> interesting to you? I'd also welcome sources of textbook type problems,
> because the ones provided in tutorials tend to be repetitive.

I would say, start looking for something in your own life, that can be
improved with the use of a program. This requires a bit of thinking in a
specific way, kind of awareness. Once you spot your own ideas, you will
probably run out of time to implement them all. If you have some interests
beyond programming :), finding them should not be that hard. If there are
some books related to those interests, they should be a good start. The
way you do it now, I think it is much better to connect your newly gained
knowledge with real-life activity rather then to solve yet another
"imagined" problem from a book, writing throwaway programs to prove that
you can write them. I am quite sure, that for every domain there is a lot
of big and small ideas waiting for a programmer. So you can start with
simple things and as you learn, try your luck with bigger ones. Writing
real life programs will give you an opportunity to learn some python
libraries, which is a good thing too.

Nice attitude :-).

Regards,
Tomasz Rola