Official definition of call-by-value (Re: Finding the instancereference...)

rurpy at yahoo.com rurpy at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 17 10:24:55 EST 2008

On Nov 17, 12:20 pm, "Hendrik van Rooyen" <m... at microcorp.co.za>
wrote:
>  "Steve Holden" <steve at ho.om> wrote:
>
>> There's also the question, if you say that an object is different from
>> its value, of determining what the value's value is ...
>
> This one is easy - its obviously the value that is returned when the value
> is returned when you call for the value that you are interested in, unless
> you are interested in the bare value, in which case its the value that is
> returned.

Except of course, values are *never* returned,
only objects.  This is why the concept of an object's
intrinsic value is important.  I now understand
that at some point when chasing values, you will
eventually[*1] encounter an object with no intrinsic
value or one for which you have to rely on repr()
to tell you its value; there is no other way to
examine it from the "outside" since (in C-Python)
its value in in a form only C-level code can
understand.

[*1] Excluding circularly linked chains of values
of course.