Finding the instance reference of an object [long and probably boring]

Joe Strout joe at strout.net
Mon Nov 10 17:13:58 EST 2008

On Nov 10, 2008, at 2:30 PM, Aaron Brady wrote:

> I agree with Terry that all calling is call-by-value, and Steven that
> all calling is call-by-bit-flipping.  I agree with Joe that call-by-
> object is a special case of call-by-value.

Woo!  Almost sounds like approaching consensus.  :)

However, I'm sorry to say that I think both Terry's and Steven's
descriptions are unhelpful.  There really are important distinctions
among parameter evaluation strategies.  Call-by-reference is not call-
by-value (though it is call-by-bit-flipping, but that's too low a
level).

But if we can  agree that call-by-sharing (which I believe is the more
widely documented term than "call-by-object") is a special case of
call-by-value, when the parameters are object references, then I think
we may have a winner.

Best,
- Joe