Remote control of firefox (mozilla) from a python program

Mike Driscoll kyosohma at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 16:27:37 EST 2008

On Nov 10, 10:23 am, Scott <rsda... at linuxden.com> wrote:
> I have a requirement to control a firefox web browser from an external
> python program.  The python program running under linux from a command
> shell needs to first find all open firefox web browser windows read
> the URL currently displayed in each web browser and if the URL matches
> a particular regular expression it needs to get/set form fields
> displayed in the web browser.  Basically I need something like Windows
> COM and Internet Explorer where you can use COM to get/set form
> elements in the web page as well as post the web page.  Does xpcom
> provide this?  Is there some other method?  Mozilla has an xpcom
> interface but I am not sure it is available to a python program
> running in a different process as my scenario describes.  At some
> point I will need this python program to run under Mac OS X but for
> now I need something running under Linux.

There is some old xpcom bindings, but I don't think they were very
helpful. You might be able to use mechanize:

http://pypi.python.org/pypi/mechanize/0.1.7b

Or you might want to check out IronPython's Silverlight/Moonlight API.
I don't think that's quite done for Linux, but it's getting there and
when it's done, it might work for you...

Mike