PYTHON WORKING WITH PERL ??

Shawn Milochik Shawn at milochik.com
Sun Nov 2 01:50:46 EST 2008

On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 11:15 AM, Nicola Larosa (tekNico)
<nicola.larosa at gmail.com> wrote:
> Pat <P... at junk.net> wrote:
>> After you learn Python, you'll come to despise Perl.
>
> Some of us came to despise Perl *before* learning Python (third to
> last paragraph):

For what it's worth, I thought I'd throw in my 2¢. I used to like Perl
a whole lot. I was never a Perl Monk, or a guru of any kind. But Perl
is powerful and convenient. In fact, I still use Perl one-liners all
the time. For any quickie one-liner, especially involving regular
expressions, it's unparalleled as far as I know. But once I started
using Python, I immediately preferred it to Perl. Now, I'm useless in
Perl. To even write a simple script, I end up having to hit up Google
for the syntax. Things don't make sense, and it's awkward for me to
put my thoughts down in Perl code. Python, on the other hand, almost
always does what I was thinking of when I wrote it. Don't get me wrong
-- I still write bad code. But most of the issues are bugs with the
logic, when I don't do enough thinking before typing (which Python
makes so easy). I rarely struggle with any syntax issues at all.

The reason I think Python blows Perl away is that it makes it much
easier to read code after a period of time. Even if it's not your
code. With Perl, it's too easy to write code that you have to decipher
even after your lunch break. For more thoughts on these things from
someone much, much more qualified than I, check out this fantastic
article: http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/3882